- PSLV-C39 mission carrying replacement of navigational satellite IRNSS-1H failed, as spacecraft was stuck in the heat shield in the last and fourth stage into space as planned. This was the PSLV’s first failure after 39 continuosly successful launches and the only second instance since 1993.
Between 2013 and 2016 ISRO put up seven IRNSS satellites to form the Indian regional Navigation Satellite System, since called NavIC or Navigation with India Constellation.
NavIC is the Indian regional version similar to the U.S. global Positioning System GPS
- Swiss President Doris Leuthard on a visit to India recently, PM Modi thanked Swiss government for its support to India’s membership bid for the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR)
- Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG)
- The most powerful X-ray laser, X-ray Free Electro Laser (XFEL) unveiled in Germany.
- M.S. Dhoni became only sixth Indian and the second wicket-keeper-batsman after Kumar Sangakara to play 300 ODIs.
- Lasith Malinga became the 11th bowler and 8th pacer to take 300 wickets in ODIs.
- UNESCO announced the winners of the 2017 International Literacy Prizes, which honours excellence and innovation in the field of global literacy. The awards will be handed, on the occasion of International Literacy Day which falls on September 8, to five laureates from Canada, Colombia, Jordan, Pakistan and South Africa.
- SET– State Engagement Task Force
- Hambantota Port-The Hambantota Port is a maritime port in Hambantota, Sri Lanka. It is named after former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Iraq Prime Minister- Haider-al Abadi
- Dipak Misra, took oath as 45th Chief Justice of India.
- Bharti Airtel announced strategic partnership with Symantec Corp. To provide cybersecurity solutions to businesses in India.
- Punjab Chief Minister- captain Amarinder Singh.
- Head of Dera Sach Sauda Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh awarded two consecutive sentences of ten years rigorous imprisonment in two rape cases and a fine of Rs. 15 lakh in each case.
- Doklam standoff ends as India and China agreed to disengage from the Doklam plateau
- Ahmed Khan, the last of India’s glorious generation of barefooted footballers who made a mark on the 1938 Olympic Games, passed away at age of 90.
- Solar Power– Target is to generate 100GW of solar power by 2022, of this 60GW is to come from utilities and 40 GW from rooftop solar installation.
- Royal Queen mother of Bhutan, Ashi Dorji Wangmo launched book,
India’s Indira: A Centennial Tribute authored by Anand Sharma
- Justice Dipak Misra, took oath as 45th Chief Justice of India. He succeeded CJI J.S. Kher.
- JAM, a term coined by our Chief Economic Adviser, just brought together financial inclusion (PMJDY), Aadhaar and mobile telecommunication.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana– Scheme to give free LPG connections to the poorest households.
- RIMES– Regional Integrated Multi Hazard Early Warning System.
- P.V. Sindhu settled for Silver medal at World Badminton Championship in Glasgow. In finals she was defeated by Japan’s Nozomi Okhura.
- U.S. distance runner Shalane Flanagan awarded her silver medal from the 2008 Olympic Games 10,000m following a doping ban against Turkish second place finisher Evan Abeylegesse.
- India is the ninth biggest trading partner of the U.S. and India had a trade surplus of around $26 billion with the U.S. in goods trade alone last year.
- ASCON– Army Static Switched Communication Network is the army’s telecom network backbone. ASCON network currently uses bulk encryption.
DWDM– Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing- is an optical multiplexing technology used to increase bandwidth over existing fibre network by combining and transmitting multiple signals simultaneously at different wavelength on the same fibre.
- Srijan Mahila Vikas Sahyog Committee, a Bhagalpur based NGO, accused of siphoning off hundereds of crores meant for welfare scheme in collusion with State government officials.
The scam was carried on by depositing government cheques into the account of the NGO that, in turn, would invest these amounts in bank deposits to earn interest. This scam is to the tune of Rs. 1000 crore.
- Nepal Prime Minister– Sher Bahadur Deuba, recently on a visit to India.
- Turkey President- Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Supreme Court declared instant Triple Talaq unconstitutional.
- Mongoose– Is a protected species under Schedule II and part II of the Wildlife Protection Act 1972 and any trade of its body parts involves similar punishment as is laid down for tigers and rhinoceros
WCCB– Wildlife Crime Control Bureau
- Udaipur boy, Kalpit Veerwal, has made Limca Book of Records by scoring 360 out of 360 in the Jee-Mains exam this year. He is the first ever student to have scored 100% in JEE-Mains.
- Artificial Intelligence may imperils about 6.4 lakh low skilled jobs in IT industry alone by 2021. New job roles that will dominate the ITworkforce are within digital domains such as big data, AI, Internet of Things (IoT), cloud computing and cyber security, according to report released by Simplilearn.
- UAPA– Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
- China set to relaunch one of World’s fastest bullet train having speed of approx 350 kmph. China has the world’s longest high speed rail network of over 22,000 LM, about 60% of world’s total.
- Bangladesh prime minister Shiekh Hasina
- CCTNS– Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems Project, may be used to dispense physical police verification for getting a passport.
- Pangong lake is in Ladakh.
- Choices: Inside the Making of India’s Foreign Policy book by former NSA Shivshankar Menon
- A six member women’s team of the Indian Navy will set sail in early September to circumnavigate the globe on the sailin vessel, INSV Tarini. This is the first ever circumnavigation of the globe by an all woman crew from India.
- Global Entrepreneurship Summit will take place in Hyderabad.
- All toll plazas on national highways will have electronic toll collection devices, known as FASTags, beginning from September 1.
FASTags is a device that can be installed on the windshield of any vehicle and toll payments can be made directly from the pre-paid account linked to it. The dedicated FASTags lanes will become operational at all 371 national highways from September
NHAI- Chairman- Deepak Kumar.
- Vishal Sikka, CEO and MD of Infosys, resigned from his post .
- The 12 year old Praggnanandhaa became the youngest chess player ever to cross 2500 FIDE Elo rating points.
- Former Olympic and World Champion of Cycling, Stephen Wooldridge, aged 39, passed away.
- The cabinet committee on economic affairs has extended the benefits for industrial units in the north eastern and hill states till March 2027. Earlier units in the North-eastern states, Sikkim, Uttrakhand, Himanchal Pradesh and J&K enjoyed excise duty benefits for 10 years.
- Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) banned exports of gold jewellery, medallions and other articles with purity above 22 carats in a bid to check round tripping of the precious metal.