- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Rs. 16,000 crore scheme, Saubhagya, under which poor households across the country that have no access to electricity, will be given power connections free of cost.
- Angela Merkel has secured the fourth term as German Chancellor.
- Sports Ministry recommended Padma Bhushan, the country’s third highest civilian award, for Olympic Silver medallist shuttler P.V. Sindhu
- 2018 Commonwealth Games (CWG) to be held at Gold Coast, Australia. And 2018 Asian Games (popularly known as Asiad) will be held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Lakshya Sen slipped to World No. 2 behind Thailand’s Kunlavaut Viditsarn in World Junior Badminton rankings.
- Abdul Majid, director of landmark film Chameli Memsaab, an icon of the Assamese film industry passed away. He was popularly known as Majidka.
- India plans to procure nuclear fuel from Uzbekistan and other countries as part of its plan to create a strategic uranium reserves to ensure long term security.
Apart from domestic production, India currently imports Uranium from Kazakhstan and Canada and is used to provide fuel to endogenously built pressurized heavy water reactors. Further, India in place to import uranium from Namibia and Mongolia.
President of Uzbekistan- Shavkat Mirziyoyev
- U.S Defence Secretary Jim Mattis is on 3-days visit to India, the first by a Cabinet member of Trumph administration.
- Egyptian national Emam Ahmed Abd El Aty, wo was known to be world’s heaviest woman at 500kg, passed away