- M.S. Dhoni became the first wicketkeeper to effect 100 stumping in ODIs surpassing Kumar Sangakara’s 99. He stumped Akila Dananjaya as his 100th stumping at R. Premadasa stadium in Colombo, Srilanka.
- Virat Kholi joined the 2nd highest number of centuries i.e 30 in ODI with Ricky Pointing.
- India’s win over Srilanka in 5 matches ODI series, was the second 5-0 whitewash in an away ODI series with Kohli’s men having blanked Zimbabwe in 2013.
- Cabinet Reshuffle-
Nirmala Sitharaman– appointed as Defence Minister of India, the first woman to hold the charge full time. Late PM Indira Gandhi had held additional charge of Defence twice during her premiership.
Suresh Prabh– appointed as Commerce and Industry minister, previous he is Railway minister.
Piyush Goyal appointed as Railway Minister
Rajyaverdhan Singh Rathore– appointed as Union sports Minister. He is a Olympian(Athens) silver medallist, the first ever individual silver for India, he also won the World Championship bronze at Nicosia in 2003.
- North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb which it can mount on Inter Continental Ballistic Missile.
North korea singed Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT) in 1985
U.S. President George W. Bush labled North Korea, Iran and Iraq an “an axis of evil” in 2002.
North Korea withdraws from NPT in 2003.
Emerging Terms, News and Other:
- American astronaut Peggy Whitson returned to earth after clocking 665 days in space. She along with another American and a Russia landed in Kazakhstan. Peggy Whtison sets record for the longest time spent in space by any woman. She also became the world’s oldest spacewoman at age 57 and first woman to command the space station twice.
- P. Harikrishna is a India’s second best chess player after Vishwanathan Anand