- PSLV-C39 mission carrying replacement of navigational satellite IRNSS-1H failed, as spacecraft was stuck in the heat shield in the last and fourth stage into space as planned. This was the PSLV’s first failure after 39 continuosly successful launches and the only second instance since 1993.
Between 2013 and 2016 ISRO put up seven IRNSS satellites to form the Indian regional Navigation Satellite System, since called NavIC or Navigation with India Constellation.
NavIC is the Indian regional version similar to the U.S. global Positioning System GPS
- Swiss President Doris Leuthard on a visit to India recently, PM Modi thanked Swiss government for its support to India’s membership bid for the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR)
- Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG)
- The most powerful X-ray laser, X-ray Free Electro Laser (XFEL) unveiled in Germany.
- M.S. Dhoni became only sixth Indian and the second wicket-keeper-batsman after Kumar Sangakara to play 300 ODIs.
- Lasith Malinga became the 11th bowler and 8th pacer to take 300 wickets in ODIs.
- UNESCO announced the winners of the 2017 International Literacy Prizes, which honours excellence and innovation in the field of global literacy. The awards will be handed, on the occasion of International Literacy Day which falls on September 8, to five laureates from Canada, Colombia, Jordan, Pakistan and South Africa.
- SET– State Engagement Task Force
- Hambantota Port-The Hambantota Port is a maritime port in Hambantota, Sri Lanka. It is named after former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Iraq Prime Minister- Haider-al Abadi