- Brazil topped the FIFA ranking while world champion Germany dropped to second despite winning the Confederation Cup. Argentina is at third place.
- A 25 year old national level wrestler Vishal Kumar died after being electrocuted in a stadium in Ranchi.
- The government has finalized the transaction adviser – SBI Caps and legal advisor – Crawford Bayley & Company for the disinvestment of chopper operator Pawan Hans.
- Railway have detected fake currency with a face value of Rs. 1.11 crore at its cash counters in the last ten years, according to the report of a Parliamentary Standing Committee.
- Vijay Nambisan, a poet, writer and journalist, passed away at the age of 54. He became the first All India Poetry champion in 1988 for his iconic poem “Madras Central”
- Supreme Court directed that vehicles without valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificates would not be eligible for annual insurance.
- Nepal parliament has passed a Bill for strengthening women safety and new law goes into effect in August 2018. This law was against acid attacks along with ancient Hindu customs of demanding dowry payments for marriage and exiling women who are menstruating.
Many menstruating women are still forced to leave their homes until their cycle ends, though the practice called Chhaupadi was actually outlawed a decade ago.
- North Korea threatened to fire Hwasong 12 missiles towards American Pacific territory of Guam- a Island. Guam has been a U.S. territory since 1898 and has a population of aound 1,63,000
Hwasong 12 (KN-17) is a Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) powered by Soviet era R-27 engine.
Emerging Terms, News and Others:
- Widely known as Pakistan’s Mother Teresa, German born nun Rut Pfau, passed away at age of 87. She devoted her life to eradicate leprosy, a contagious disease that can cause disfigurement, in Pakistan.
She founded the Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre in Karachi.
- Cassini: A spacecraft of NASA set to begin its final five ultra close orbits around Saturn before it sends its 20 year long journey.
- CREDAI – Confederation of Real State Developers’ and Association of India
- JETCO – Joint Economic and Trade Committee
- Article 35A – Prohibits a non J&K resident from buying property in the State and ensures job reservation for J&K residents.