- According to Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Mukesh Ambani became Asia’s second richest person with wealth worth $35.2 billion.
Jack Ma, promoter of Chinese ecommerce firm Alibaba, is Asia’s richest person with $43.7 billion.
- The Nuclear Power Corporation of India signed three major contracts with Russia based ASE Group of companies relating to two units of the Kundankulam plant.
- SEBI approved appointment of Dhirendra Swarup as chairman of stock exchange BSE. He will replace Sudhakar Rao. Mr. Swarup was the former chairman of Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a total package of Rs. 2,350 crore for the north eastern states hit by flood and an immediate release of Rs. 250 crore for flood hit Assam.
- Arvind Pangariya has stepped down as Vice-Charman of the government think tank NITI Aayog, to rejoin as Columbia Universities professor.
- Pakistan’s lawmakers elected Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, nominated by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, as new Prime Minister of Pakistan.
Emerging News, Terms and Others:
- Founding director of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Puspha Mitra Bhargava, passed away at his home. He was a veteran molecular biologist and a vehement critic of genetically modified crops.
- China is constructing train tunnel of 12 KM in length through one of the portions of its iconic great wall to connect Zhanjiakou city, which is due to co-host the 2022 Winter Olympics along with Bejing.