- Italy’s Federica Pellegrini became the first swimmer to win seven medals in a single event at the World Swimming Championship.
- Indian girls’team event of the WSF-World Junior Squash championship ended with a 2-1 loss to Hong Kong.
- Axis Bank has decided to acquire digital wallet FreeCharge from e-commerce firm snapdeal in an all cash deal worth Rs. 385 crore.
- Outer Wheeler Island under Chandabali teshsil in Bhadrak district named as A.P.J Abdul kalam Island, by the Odisha government as a tribute to the former President.
- Over 70% of the under vehicle scanners (UVS) installed at Indian Air Force bases were non-functional, CAG tabled report to parliament . The IAF in February said that out of the 57 UVS system, 52 had been installed and only five were yet to be installed. However, 35 systems still remained in “unserviceable condition”.
- Pakistan’s Supreme Court disqualified Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif from office over undeclared assets and ordered registration of corruption cases against him and his children, plunging the country into a political turmoil.
Emerging News, Terms and Others:
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos became the world’s richest person, as a jump in the share price of the U.S. tech giant enabled him to overtake Microsoft founder Bill Gates.(For some time)
- Arundhati Roy’s latest fiction, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, has made it tot he long-list of this year’s Man Booker Prize.
Author’s debut novel God of Small Things, won the Booker prize in 1997.
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana to provide financial assistance without collateral securities. Under the scheme, eight crore youth have been given Mudra loans, amounting to Rs. 4,00,000 crore.
- Saturn’s largest moon- Titan
- Project CAT– Conserving Acres for Tigers.
- NITI Aayog– Amitabh Kant.