- Lilly King(USA) and Kylie Masse (Canada), making world records, won the 100m Breaststroke and Backstroke swimming event respectively in the ongoing World Swimming Championship at Budapest.
- Microsoft unveiled Kaizala, a mobile only productivity application to simplify large group communication for Indian organisations.
- CAC– Codex Alimentarius Commission.
- Bihar Chief Minister, Nitish Kumar, resigns from his post.
- Union Health and family Welfare Ministry recently released a policy in the Prevention and Control of haemoglobinopathies in India.
Under this scheme people living with Thalassaemia, sickle cell anaemia and other haemoglobin disorders can look forward to better screening and treatment.
Thalassaemia- The abnormal production of Haemoglobin, a genetic blood disorder. The abnormality leads to improper oxygen transport and deformation of RBC. The disease has no cure and patient require lifelong blood transfusion.
Sickle Cell: A inherited haemoglobin disorder that requires lifelong management, caused by a problem in the haemoglobin beta gene found in chromosome 11
In India, there are 1,00,00 thalassaemia majors of which 50% will not survive beyond the age of 25.