- Chennai Open, the first tournament on ATP calendar, will be called Maharastra Open from 2018.
- India post a 36 run win over defending champion in the semi final of the ICC Women’s world cup.
Highest Scorer in ICC Womens:
1. Belinda Clark (Aus)- 229*
2. Deepti Sharma (Ind)- 188
3. Chamari Atapattu (SL)- 178*
4. Charlotte Edwards (Eng)- 173*
5. Harmanpreet kaur (Ind)- 171*
- ICICI Bank, the country’s largest private sector lender, has introduced a facility to instantly sanction a personal loan through the lender’s ATMs. Customer can borrow up to Rs. 15 lakh, repayable in 60 months, in a digital and paperless procedure.
- Ram Nath Kovind, declared elected as India’s 14th President, defeated former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar. Ram Nath Kovind will be the 2nd dalit President of India after late Presidnet K.R. Narayanan.
He is the first person from the BJP to hold the office o f President since Independence.
- The landmark India- Japan agreement for cooperation in the Peaceful Uses f Nuclear Energy came into force on 20.07.2017, with exchange of diplomatic notes between Dr. S Jaishankar (Foreign Secretary of India) and Mr. Kenjji Hiramatasu (Ambassador of Japan to India).
- Pl-HIV (People Living with HIV)– According to UNAIDS study, majority of new HIV/AIDS cases- nearly 95% of these in 2016- were concentrated in just 10 countries and India being one of them.
India has .1 million people living with HIV, with 80,000 new infections annually, as of 2016.
India is the country where most new HIV infections are occurring in the Asia-Pacific region.
Emerging Terms, News and Others:
- TIFR– Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.
- GSTN– Chairman- Navin Kumar.
- SSM– Special Safeguard Mechanism- SSM allow developing nations to hike tariffs to counter sudden import surges of price falls.
- OCPS– Optionally Convertible Preference Shares.