- 22nd Asian Athlectics Championhip begins at Kalinga Stadium in Odisha in the presence of
Odisha chief minister- Naveen patnaik.
International Athletics Federatio president- Sebastian Coe
Athletics Federation of India president- Adille Sumariwalla.
Opening ceremony included the rendition of popular Sambalpuri folk song Rangabati by Shankar, Ehsaan and loy. Indian contingent with Tintu Luka carrying the flag in the opening ceremony march.
- India’s leading cueist Pankaj Advani teamed up with Laxman Rawat defeated Pakistan in the final of the Asian Team Snooker Championship.
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved bankruptcy proceedings against Mumbai based EPC firm Jyoti Structures. It is the first case among the 12 cases referred by the central bank under India’s new Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016.
- Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) signed an agreement with four private banks- ICICI, HDFC, Axis, and Kotak Mahindra Bank, and Bank of Baroda for collection of provident fund dues from employers and payments to its subscriber at Zero transaction charge.
Central provident Fund Commissioner (CPFC)- V.P. Joy.
- Wipro Infrastructure Engineering, a part of Wipro Enterprises (P) Ltd and Israel Aerospace Industries announced a strategic alliance for manufacturing composite aerostructure parts and assemblies.
- The Law Ministry issued notification for appointment of Election Commissioner Achal Kumar Joti as the next Chief Electional Commissioner. He will take over charge from incumbent CEC Dr. Nasim Zaidi.
- According to Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), 5500 of 76000 children tested in 9 cities have been diagnosed with TB. 9% of these TB cases have been diagnosed to have MDR-TB. These test were conducted under the Revised National Tb Control Program (RNTCP)
MDR-TB is the case where Anti -TB drugs (Rifampicin and Isoniazid) ar not effective against MDR-TB cases.
- Kolkata based Adventz Group, has signed a $2-billion-plus memorandum of understanding with Israel’s Lesicogroup to explore and collaborate in the light rail transit (LRT) projects in Tel Aviv and Jerussalem.
- North Korea claimed, it successfully test fired its first Intercontinental Ballistic missile (ICBM) Hwasong-14
- India and Israel announced a strategic partnership and signed seven agreements in the fields of water,agriculture and space. The agreements include a $40- million joint fund for research and development in innovation.
Emerging Terms, News and Other:
- NITI Ayog vice chairman- Arvind Panagariya.
- UDAY– Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojna- About 97% of the total debt of all state power distribution companies (DISCOM) under this scheme.
- European Commission chief- Jean Claude Juncker.
- Chilka Lake– Second largest brackish water lake in the world.
- Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey, CEo at UIDAI.
- Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.