- The World Badminton Championship is scheduled in Glasgow from August 21 to 27.
- Sunderbans: Losing its famed Mangroves:
In a publication, Mangrove Fores Cover Changes in India Sundarban (1986-2012) Using Remote Sensing and GIS, reveals that from 1986 to 2012 about 124.418 sq. km. mangrove forest cover has been lost.This loss in the mangrove forest in the Indian Sunderbans is about 5.5%. The forest cover of Indian Sunderbans as assessed by remote sensing studies for the year 1986 was about 2,246.839 sq. km., which gradually declined by 2,201.41 sq.km in 1996, then down to 2168.914 sq km in 2001 and to 2122.421 sq km in 2012.
- Indian-American, Adobe chief Shantanu Narayen and former U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, to be honored with ‘Great Immigrants’ annual award on U.S. Independence day on July 4. The two among 38 immigrants to be honored for their role in helping advance the country’s society, culture and economy.
- Kenya became the first country to issue a mobile phone based bond, M-Akiba, without any need for a bank account.
Emerging Terms, News and Other:
- CRI– Computer Related Inventions
- Cyber Security chief of India- Gulshan Rai (Country’s first cyber security chief).
- Deep Blue: It is a IBM artificial intelligence program of Chess which defeated Garry Kasparov (first defeat of a reigning world chess champion) in 1997.
- iBobbly, the world’s first suicide prevention app, developed by researchers at Black Dog Institute, Australia and launched in the country in 2014.
- OHC– Ocean Heat Contents
- Agnotology: Is the study of culturally induced ignorance or doubt, particularly the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data.