- Chinese mobile company Vivo has retained the Indian Premier League title sponsorship rights for the 2018-2022 period.
- Government has directed NTPC, BHEL and private power producers to explore technological solutions to ease India’s dependency on imported coal, which currently cost Rs. 1 lakh crore a year. Coal Minister Piyush Goyal told that, “India has one of the largest coal reserves in the world, enough to power us for at least 500 years”. India has 52 million tonnes of coal reserves.
- U.S. state Department placed China on its global list of the worst offenders in human trafficking.
- The European Union slapped a record euro 2.4 billion ($2.7 billion) fine on Google for breaching EU anti-trust rules. Google has abused its market dominance as a search engine by giving an illegal advantage to another Google product.
European Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager.
Emerging Terms, News and Other:
- Indians made up the second highest number of migrants living in Australia at 1,63,000 since 2011. The proportion of people born in India and living in Australia rose from 5.6% to 7.4%.
- RDB– Rupee Denominated Bonds.
- AERA– Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India.
- Ukrain Prime Minister– Volodymyr Groysman.
- Brazil President– Michel Timer.
- MTCR– Missile Technology Control Regime.
- ITBP– Indo-Tibetan Border police- Director general- Krishna Chowdhury.
- GeneXpert– A single device which can be used to diagnose TB, HIV and Hepatitis.