- Youth Olympics finalist Yashaswini Singh Deswal won the air pistol gold at the junior World Shooting championship.
- Indian team ended its campaign in World Team chess championship at 4th place. China, Russia and Poland are at top three performers.
- India cricket team tops in the most 300 plus scores in ODIs.
- Eminent scientist, former chief of ISRO and Padma Vibhusan Dr. k. Kasturirangan has been appointed as Chairman of the committee tasked with preparing the final draft of the National Education policy.
- India and Mexico will hold an important conference on regional and global disarmament.
Mexican president– Enrique Pena Nieto.
- Lupin Ltd., fourth largest generics pharmaceutical player by market capitalization in the world, founder and chairman Desh Bandhu Gupta passed away.
- Japan’s Takata Corp., Airbag maker, filed bankruptcy protection in the United States and Japan.
- Chinese Nobel Peace prize winner and rights activist, Liu Xiaobo, has been released from prison on medical parole. He was jailed for 11 years in 2009 for “inciting subversion of state powers” after he helped write a petition known as “Charter 08” calling for sweeping political reforms in China.
In December 2010 he was awarded the Nobel Peace prize for his activism promoting human rights in China.
Emerging Terms, News and Others:
- A Lebanese calligrapher, Mahmoud Bayoun, has completed a two year project to write a copy of Koran (Islam’s holy book) in the rarely used and delicate Arabic language Diwani font.
- DGAD– Director General of Anti-dumping and Allied Duties.
- NSCN-k – National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Khaplang.
- OCO-2 — Orbiting Carbon observatory- A NASA satellite to monitor environment.
- DIPAM – Department of Investment and Public Asset Management