- Anish Bhanwala clinched the 25-metre standard pistol gold in the Junior World Shooting championship.
- 23rd Summer Deaflympics (previously called World Games for the Deaf, and International Games for the Deaf) to be staged in Samsun, Turkey from July 18 to 30. Motto- PER LUDOS AEQUALITAS (Equality through sport)
- K. Srikanth grabbed a third successive Super-series final spot at the Australian Open with a victory over China’s Shi yuqi.
Srikanth becomes only the fifth player in the world to contest three successive Super-series finals. His earlier final were in Singapore and Indonesia.
- ICC announced the the ICC Women’s World Cup will be the first global sports event to launch special Twitter emojis.
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation completed the construction of India’s first set of underwater transportation tunnels under Hooghly river. Two Tunnel Boring machine (TBM) named Rachna and Prerna were used to dig up to riverbed.
India has joined a select group of nations that have underwater transport.The first metro train in the country opened its doors for the public in Kolkata in 1984. The 520 metre long tunnels under the river are part of the 10.8 km underground stretch.
- United Nation awarded West Bengal for girls scheme, Kanyashree Prakalpa, that promotes girls’ education.
- Indian-origin sikh, Palbinder Kaur Shergill, has been appointed a judge of the Canadian Supreme Court of British Columbia. The first turbaned sikh to be appointed to the judiciary of the country.
Emerging Terms, News and Others:
- ACS– Acute Coronary Syndrome.
- MCCD– Medically Certified Cause of Death.
- NMM- National Monuments Authority.
- Stree Shakti Package– Loan scheme for women enterpreneures offered by State Bank of India.