- Afghanistan made its first ever victory in the World Cup by defeating Scotland
- Hammer thrower Harvender Singh Dagar has been banned for eight years due to anti doping rule violations.
- India-Pakistan match paled on February 15 created Indian television history as 288 million viewers tuned in to watch it.
- The freight hike announced in the Railway Budget 2015-16 is likely to drive up the prices of certain items such as cement, coal, steel and iron ore This hike will range from 2 to 10 %.
- National Stock Exchange signed a MoU with Gujrat international Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) to establish an International exchange.
GIFT Special Economic Zone is being developed as India’s first ever International Financial Services Centre (IFSC).
Expected investment in this SEZ is about Rs 78,000 crore and estimated 5 lakh persons would get direct employment.
- To meet capital expenditure, Indian Railways Will borrow Rs 17655 crore from market through its two company Indian Railways Finance Corporation and Rail Vikash Nigam Ltd. Current market borrowing is pegged at Rs 12045 crore.
- SEBI slaps Rs 86 crore penalty on DLF for capital market rules violation.
- RBI said that the Rs. 5000 overdraft facility under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna will be treated as Priority Sector Lending.
- President gave his assent for the appointment of Amitava Roy as Supreme Court judge With this appointment the strenght of judges in SC climbs to 29. The current sanctioned limit for the SC judges including CJI is 31.
- Court extended the protection of TERI Director General RK Pachauri from arrest in the sexual harassment case till March 27.
- BJP leader Subramaniam Swami asked CBI to file FIR against Amratya Sen in corruption case of funds misappropriation at Nalanda University.
- Mumbai University signed MoU with Indian Railways to set up Rail Innovation and Technology Centre.
- Ministry of Chemical and Fertilisers declared year 2015 as year of Active Pharmaceutical ingredients (API).
- British goverment has missed the target of immigration control which is capped at 100,000 by the end of current parliament The net migration stood at 298,000 for the year 2014 till September.
- More than 200 people have been killed in a series of avalanches triggered by a heavy snowfall around Afghanistan.
- Russia and Cyprus have signed an agreement that would give Russian military ships access to the EU member state’s ports in Mediterranean sea.Cyprus President– Nicos Anastasiades.Russian Preisent– Valdamir Putin.
- Jamaica decriminalised the possession of the small amount up to 57 gm of Marijuana for personal use.
- Clemson University honoured Ratan Tata with Doctorate of Automotive Engineering.
- Apple Inc has been fined 553 M$ for three patent infringement.
- Worlds first 3D printed jet engine developed in Austalia by the researchers from Monash University.
Emerging Terms and News:
- TDSAT– Telecom Dispute settlement and Appellate Tribunal Authority.
- UAPA– Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
- MAT– Minimum Alternate Tax.
- DDT– Dividened Distribution Tax.
- REIT– Real Estate Investment Trust.
- GAAR introduced in Budget 2012-13.
- National Stock Exchange CEO&MD- Chitra Ramkrishan.
- Munak Canal recently in news is in Haryana.