- Gymnast Dipa Karmakar bags Five individual golds
- Alibaba had signed a deal to buy a 25% stake in Indian mobile payments and ecommerce platform Paytm owner One97 Communications.*Paytm is India’s largest mobile commerce platform with nearly 25 million orders a month and more than 23 million mobile wallet users.
- Tata Communications has signed a $20 million multi-year deal with Germany-based KION Group to provide global wide area network (WAN) services to the group’s 330 sites across 30 countries.
- CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd (SPMCIL).The MoU is aimed at fostering collaboration on research and exchange of technical expertise in areas of material sciences and testing capabilities for bank notes, security documents and coins.
- The Madras High Court directed the state government of Tamil Nadu to issue a circular banning beauty contests in colleges and other educational institutions of the state. *Justice T S Sivagnanam passed an interim order on a plea and said that it is not known as to how walking the ramp would benefit a student pursuing a course of engineering.
- Jharkhand Government decided to provide tablets to all girls student studying in class 9, 10, 11 and 12 in government Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV). The Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya scheme was introduced by the Union Government in August 2004.
- A summit, Towards Zero Poaching in Asia concluded in Kathmandu, Nepal on 6th February 2015. This five-day anti-poaching summit started on 2 February 2015, was hosted by the Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation of Nepal.It was co-hosted by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Global Tiger Forum (GTF), National Trust for Nature Conservation (NTNC) and South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN)
- France and Germany present a new peace plan to end conflict in Ukraine. US extends full support to this plan. French President François Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel presented this plan, a day after Kiev gave its tentative support for the proposal.
- Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisenawill embark on a four-day visit to India from 15th February. This will be Mr Sirisena’s first foreign trip after becoming President.
- Twitter and Google have signed a deal to make tweets searchable. The tweets will be available in Google search results which will benefit both companies.
Appointments and Resignations:
- MO Garg was appointed as the Director General of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR). Prior to his present posting, he was Director in CSIR-Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP), Dehradun.
- Indian-American Ajaypal Singh Banga is appointed as the Member of the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations (ACTPN), a key administration position in the United States (US).*Banga is President and CEO of MasterCard since 2009 he is also the Chairman of the US-India Business Council (USIBC) representing more than 300 of the largest global companies investing in India.
- Eminent Marathi litterateur Bhalchandra Nemade , whose 1963 novel Kosala (Cocoon) changed the dimensions of Marathi novel, was selected for 2014 Jnanpith Award, the highest literary honour in India, by the Jnanpith Selection Board. This is the 50th Jnanpith Award.
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 4 February 2015 presented Visitor’s Awards for Central Universities in the categories of Best University, Innovation and Research for the year 2015.Best University Award: University of Hyderabad for academic excellence & overall outstanding work.