- Portuguese star footballer Cristiano Ronaldo voted as Best English Premier League Player ever
- Olympians Ronjan Sodhi (Punjab) and Shagun Chaudhary (Rajasthan) won gold in the double trap for men and women category respectively.
- Andhra Pradesh men and Kerala women claim gold in the Beach Volley Ball championship.
- Elizabeth Susan Koshy claimed her 2nd gold medal in 50m riffle 3 position shooting.
- Jitu Rai won gold in 10m pistol event in men’s category.
- Dr. Cyrus S. Poonawalla, Chairmand and Managing Director, Serum Institute Of India has been named as EY Entrepreneur of the year 2014.While Dr. K. Radhakrishanan, former chairman of ISRO, has been hounered with EY Lifetime Achievement award.
- Pfizer( Drugmaker ) said it would buy Hospira for about 15 B$ to boost copycat drug business.
- To make banking more efficient and simpler, Bank Of Maharashtra has launched a new mobile application MahaApp for its customer.
- Hindustan Areonotics Limited (HAL) has signed a Rs. 1090 crore contract for supplying 14 Dronier-228 air craft to the Indian Air Force.
- United Nation Economic and Social Commission for the Asia and The Pacific report:- India and the Millenium Development Goals- said that 8% GDP growth in India from 2004 to 2011 led to sharp decline in poverty and achieve the first MDG set for 2015 of reducing poverty by half.
The MDGs that India has missed are universal primary school enrolment and competition, universal youth literacy by 2015, reducing child and infant mortality, women empowerment.
Post-2015 goal of eliminating extreme poverty by 2030.
- France foreign minister Laurant Fabius visited India.
India and France already have a civil nuclear deal under which the French nuclear company Areva will setup six nuclear reacter in Jaitpur. A MoU was signed in February 2009 between NPCIL and Areva for setting up 6×1650 MWe EPR ( Is the 3rd gneraation pressurized water reactor) units at Jaipur.
- Many ooficals from environment and climate departments attended 15th Sustainable Development Summit to set agenda for 2015 Climate Change summit in Paris.
India along with other developing countries committed to fulfil the eight Millennium Development Goals by 31 December 2015.
- Kolkata has become the India’s first WI-Fi enabled metro city.
- GSHHDC (Gujrat State Handloom and Handicraft Development Corporation) signed a MoU with global e-commerce giant e-Bay to launch its own e-commerce portal under Garvi-Gujrat brand to reach out to a bigger customer base.
- The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA) has proposed a 78.4% reduction in airport charge at Indira Gandhi International Airport (Delhi).
- Former governor of California called Gujrat as California of India.
- Former Pakistan National Security Advisor Major-General Mahmud Durrani is recently in news when he met with Indian counterpart Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary S. Jaishanka.
- President of Singapore Tony Tan Keng Yam will visit India from February 8 to 11. Singapore is setting up a skill development institute in Delhi and India has requested a similar institute in North East.
Appointments and Resignations:
- Justice MM Das appointed as the chairman of Commission of Enquiry probing Chit Fund Scam after the death of Justice Radha Krishna Patra who was heading this one man commission.
Emerging Terms and News:
- UNCLOS– United Nation Convention on the Law of the Sea
- Foreign Secretary of India S. Jaishanka
- DIAL– Delhi International Airport Limited- A joint venture of Airport Authority of India and GMR Group with 26% and 74% respectively
- A team researchers discovered two algal species Ulva paschima bast and Cladophora goensis bast with carbon capture properties of India’s off coast.