- France defeated host Qatar in Handball game and became the first team in the world to win five World Championship.
- Manavjit Singh Sandhu of Punjab won the men’s trap shooting final in the National Games.
- Vijay Kumar of services won men’s 25m center fire pistol shooting event.
- Chain Singh and Elizabeth Susan Koshy won 50m Rifle prone event in Men’s and Women’s categoru respectively.
- HDFC Bank is expected to sell shares worth up to Rs. 10,000 crore.
- Videocon- BPCL( Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited) discovers oil of Brazil coast.
- To provide more liquidity in banking system and reducing lending rates, Reserve bank of India today reduced the SLR by 50 basis points to 21.50% in its 6th bi-monthly monetary policy. This is likely to pump in around Rs. 45,000 crore in the banking system.
*SLR– Statutory Liquidity Ratio is the portion of deposits that banks are required to hold in the form of gold or government securities before providing credit to customer.
*CRR– Cash Reserve Ratio is the portion of total deposits of customer which commercial banks have to hold as reserve either in cash or as deposits with the central bank
*RBI also said that the inflation is likely to be around the target level of 6% by January 2016. It also expects the GDP growth of the country for 2015-16 to be around 6.5%.
- RBI doubled the amount of foreign exchange that an individual can remit in a year to $2,50,000 under the Liberalized Remittance Scheme which is launched in 2004. Earlier in 2013 RBI cut this limit to $75,000 then increased to $1,25,000 in June 2014.
- The son of a wage labourers in Maharstra’s Solapur district, Mr. Nawaz Sheikh recently won the national logo design competition for centres new education policy.
- Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu asked the corporate sectore and industrialist and trade bodies to “walk the talk” in ensuring cleanliness and waste management in urban areas and pitch in with steps to form waste into energy.
- Indain Bank Association and Union Forum of banking unions announced four day bank strike from February 25 followed by an indefinite strike from March 16.
- Petrol and Diesel price slashed by Rs. 2.42 and Rs. 2.25 a litre- the second cut in less than three weeks.
- Modi government announced to introduce new plan and will discontinue the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
*JNNURM scheme is introduced by UPA government in 2005 to improve civic infrastructure and services in urban areas.
- Madhya Pradesh has been awarded the 10th national award for excellence work in MGNREGA implementation. 74% construction of permanent assets has been done through MGNREGA in the state.
*Initially MGNREGA had been lauched in 200 districts on February 2, 2006 then from April 1, 2008 it was implemented to all districts.
- Punjab will issue Aadhaar linked e-ration card by this implementation Punjab will became the first state in the country to issue e-ration card. This scheme will help in giving subsidized food grains to genuine beneficiaries.
- Telangana government decided to organise Godavari Pushkaralu on the lines of Kumbh Mela
- Britain became the first country in the world to allow creation of babies with DNA from three people after MPs voted for the controversial procedure.
- UNCTAD- United nation Conference on Trade And Development shows that China has surpassed the US as the top destination for Foreign Direct Investment for the first time since 2003. Globally, foreign investment fell by 8% to a total of $1.26tn last year.
*China has attracted 127.6 B$ investment in 2014 compared to 86 B$ by U.S.. US hold this position for 11 years.
*China’s special administrative region Hong Kong also stood at the second spot ahead of the US after it attracted USD 111 billion in foreign investment.
- The UNCTAD data also showed that foreign investment in developing nations rose by four percent in 2014, whereas developed nations saw a decline of 14 percent, mostly due to the large fall in the US.
*Last October, the IMF projected that China’s economy will be 20 percent larger than that of the US by 2019.
- Noted sculpture Mrinalini Mukherjee passed away.
Emerging Terms and News:
- ASSOCHAM President– Rana Kapoor.
- FICCI President– Jyotsna Suri.
- CII (Confederation of India Industries) President- Ajay S. Shriram.
- DCCO- Date of Commencement of Commercial Operations
- Mullaperiyar dam is situated in Tamil Nadu recently in news.
- Koteshwar dam across the Bhagirathi in Tehri district Dehradun