- Malaysian, Nicole David, World Squash Champion set a new world record for topping the world ranking when she secured the top most position for 106th month.
*She surpassed 105 month top holding by Susan Devoy.
- Australian Open:
*Men’s Singles:Novac Djokovic won his 5th title of Australian Open by defeating Andy Murrey.
*Womens’s Singles: Sareena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova to win her 19th major title.
*Mixed Doubles: Leander Paes and Martina Hingis( SWZ) defeated Daniel Nestor and Kristina Mladenovic
- FDI rose by 22% to 18.88 B$ during 8 months of current fiscal.
- India reclaims leading position in gold consumption in 2014 with an estimated 880 tonnes against erstwhile leader China’s 866 tonnes.
*A report by GFMS analyst says that the global demand for gold declined by 18.7% in 2014.
*While Indian jewellery fabrication demand rose by 14% to a record 690 tonnes in 2014.
- LIC bought almost 50% share of Coal India Offer For Sale. It bought over 28.47 crore shares or 4.51% stake. Now the stake of LIC in CIL stands at 7.24% up from 2.73%.
- Ready made garments exports rose by 15.98% to Rs. 73,714 crore in the first 9 month of the current fiscal from Rs. 63557 crore.
- Growth in 8 core sectors in India declined to 2.4% in December 2014, while it expanded by 4% in December 2013.
#This slow down occurs due to negative growth in crude oil, natural gas , fertilizers and steel.
#During April-December 2014 the eight core sectors grew by 4.4% as against 4.1% in same period last year.
#The eight core sectors in Indian industries- coal, crude oil, fertilizers, refinery products, natural gas, steel cement and electricity– contributes 38% to overall industrial output.
- Reliance Industries Limited and State bank of India put a joint application to the RBI to set up a payment bank.
#RIL will be promoter and will hold 70% share while SBI takes 30%.
- The 35th National Games was struck by tragedy when a Maharashtra netball player was drowned to death at beach. Player has been identified as Mayuresh Pawar.
- India today launched its flagship diplomacy magazine “India Perspectives” in Chinese language to give interesting information about the countries rich culture and tradition.
- Expert appraisal committee on Infrastructure Development has approved development of no firll airports at Kishangarh in Rajasthan and Belgaum in Karnatka.
- Wi-fi facility was launched at Ahmedabad railway station by the railway minister Suresh Prabhu. Earlier this facility had been launched at Bangalore, New Delhi and CST- Mumbai railway station.
Railway Ministry has target to provide Wi-fi facility at 400 A category railway station.
- MiG-21 fighter aircraft crashed in Gujrat’s Jamnagar area. It was 2nd crash after first held on 27, January 2015 at Barmer, Rajasthan.
- 2nd February each year is observed as World Wetland Day and the them for this year’s Wetland day is Wetlands for our future.
- PM Narendra Modi will travel to Sri lanka in March this year. It will be the first bilateral visit by Indian Premier in over 25 years.
*Former PM of India Late Rajiv Gandhi is the last bilateral visit to Sri Lanka.
- A headless sculpture of Buddha dating back to 10th Century AD was discovered at Manalur Village in Thanjavar district Tamil Nadu.
- Government authorities in the Pakistan’s north west frontiers have given permission to teachers to carry concealed firearms in response to the December 16 Peshawar attack that became one of the deadliest terrorist attack in Pakistan’s history.
- An Egyptian court on Monday confirmed death sentence against 183 men convicted of killing 13 policemen.
- India and China today launched Visit India Year in China. Under this initiative both countries will promote activities to promote two way tourism.
*Chinese Vice premier Wang Yang and India’s External Affairs Minster Sushma Swaraj jointly launched this initiative to boost tourism in both countries.
*Year 2016 will be observed as Visit China Year in India.
- To discuss the wildlife poaching, a 5-day conference on wildlife poaching begins in Nepal. Officials from 13 countries across Asia are attending this conference.
- Pakistan Successfully test fired, Ra’ad, an ingeniously developed Air Launched Cruise Missile with a range of 350 KM.
- Japan on 1st February 2015 successfully launched a Information Gathering Satellite, A spy satellite.
- NASA launched the Soil Moisture Active Passive(SMAP) satellite to study soil moisture. It will help in measuring the amount of moisture in soil also in weather forecasting, flood warning etc.
- Nandita Chatterjee appointed as Secretary in the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- Nation’s largest oil refinery and marketing company, India Oil Corp, appointed Anish Aggarwal as Director(Pipelines).
Emerging Terms and News:
- IMC– Indian Merchants Chamber
- OFS– Offer For Sale.
- Nigeria’s (Capital- Maiduguri) president Goodluck Jonathan recently in news due to women sucide bomber in his rally.
- Nisha Desai Biswal, Us Assistant Secretary of the State for South and Central Asia, recently in news.
- FTAAP– Free Trade Area of the Asia Pacific.
- TPP– Trans pacific Partnership.
- Russian Foreign minister- Sergei Lavrov.
- Chinese Foreign Minister- Wang Yi.
- MINS– Micro Navigation System.
- G.P. Mathur committe on 1984 Sikh riots.