- The country’s Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), Agni V, has been successfully test fired from a canister,was a grand success marking another technological milestone in the strategic missile program, from the Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast.
- It has traversed its full range of more than 5,000 km before plunging into the Indian Ocean.
- This is the third success in a row for Agni-V but it is the first time that it is being launched from a canister. A canister launch means it can lift off from a truck on roads or open space anywhere.
- A happy Avinash Chander, scientific adviser to defence minister and DRDO Director General, called it “India’s first ever ICBM launch from a canister and a giant leap in the country’s deterrence capability.
- The missile would be inducted into the Army by 2015-end. With its range of 5,000 km, the missile can reach a vast portion of China and Europe
Agni-V is India’s perfect answer to China’s developed armor.Once fired, the Agni-V cannot be stopped.Agni-V is India’s longest-range missile to carry a nuclear warhead.