- Former World and Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra shot Gold with a spectacular finish in the air rifle in the IWK Hockbrueck shooting championship in Munich.
- At Asian Junior team championship both Indian Girls and Boys won bronze medal. Both team lost to Malaysia in semifinals.
- Sareena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova to win her 6th Australian Open title and 19th major title.
*She had surpassed Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova in the list of major titles. Now she stand fourth in the list.
- Dwayen Bravo, the all-rounder, announced his retirement from the test cricket. He represented West Indies in 40 test matches.
- South African Airways decided to stop it direct and only flight from Johannesburg to Mumbai from March end due to financial losses.
- e-bay plans to cut 7% of its work force across the globe including India.
*The firm has two centers in India- One in Chennai and another in Bangalore. While the sources reveals that the job cut in India would be about 1000 employees of its total 2800 employees in India
- India’s Forex reserve has been declined to $322.03 Billion by 97.9 M$for the week ended on January 23, according to data released by RBI.
- RBI has directed all credit institutions to become the member of Credit Information Companies (CIC). According to RBI report on furnishing credit information in India is ranked 28th in getting credit and coverage of CICs accounts only 19.8%.
- Republican president nominee Mitt Romney announced that he would not enter the race again in 2016 presidential election.
- An Egyptian court banned the armed wing of the Palestinian Group Hamas and listed it as the terrorist organization.
- Sergio Mattarella, elected as Italy’s 12th president since World War II.
- In the study based on latest NSSO data estimated that 46.7% or 25.9 Million Metric Tonnes(MMTs) of the grains released through the Public Distribution Systemdid not reach the intended beneficiaries in 2011-12.
#Chhattisgarh and Manipur are the best and worst performing state with 0% and 97.8 % of food grain diversions respectively.
- Agni V, ICBM, has been successfully test fired from the Wheeler Island off Odisha coast from a Canister.
- Kunming became the first destination of Sushma Swaraj’s China visit.
# While her visit to China, The Sino-Indian border difference are unlikely to draw prime attention during the talks between Ms. Swaraj and her Chinese counterpart Wang Yi.
# Kunming is one of the starting point of the 21st century Maritime Silk Road project.
# China had invited India to join this project but India refrain from making firm commitment.
- India rank 1st in the Credit Suisse Emerging Consumer Scorecard 2015. This is the fifth survey by Credit Suisse Research Institute. Survey shows that India as having the lowest consumption of bear, meat and cigarettes, the lowest ownership of car and lowest access to internet.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh sanctioned Rs. 1102.56 crore from the National Disaster Relief Fund for the restoration of public infrastructure in the flood ravaged J&K.
- PETA announced to create India’s 1stfenced elephant sanctuary with in the Bannerghatta Biological Park in Karnataka.
- Krishna Chaudhary has been appointed as Director General of Indo-Tibetan Border Police. He succeeds Subhash Goswami.
- Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala is recently in news.
- BCIM– Bangladesh China India Myanmar is an economic corridor, a part of Maritime Silk Road.
- BAS– Biometric Attendance System.
- ICBM– Inter Continental Ballistic Missile.
- IEO– Independent Evolution office.
- CACP– Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices.
- ICRC– International Committee of the Red Cross, Director General- Yves Daccord is recently in news.
- FAC– Flight Augmentation Computer.