- India has been confirmed as host for the 2016 Twenty20 World Cup, scheduled to be held from 11th March 2016 to 3rd April 2016, the ICC announced today.
- The board also approved the dates for the 2017 Champions Trophy in England, which will be held between June 1-19.
- England will also host the 50-over World Cup in 2019 from May 30 to June 15.
- The 2017 Women’s World Cup will be held in England between Aug 4-27, and the 2018 Women’s World Twenty20 will be organised in the West Indies between Nov 2-25
- Andy Murray enters the final of Australian Open Tennis.
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports has revised the Scheme of Special Awards to medal winners in international events and their coaches.
- In the revised scheme, the award money have been enhanced.
- The amount of award money for medal winners in Olympic Games (summer and winter) has been enhanced from existing Rs. 50 lakh (gold medal), Rs. 30 lakh (silver medal) and Rs. 20 lakh (bronze medal) to Rs. 75 lakh, Rs. 50 lakh and Rs. 30 lakh respectively.
- The amount of award money for medal winners in Asian Games and Commonwealth Games has been enhanced from existing Rs. 20 lakh (gold medal), Rs. 10 lakh (silver medal) and Rs. 6 lakh (bronze medal) to Rs. 30 lakh, Rs. 20 lakh and Rs. 10 lakh respectively.
- Amount of award money for medalists of Paralympic Games (summer & winter), Para-Asian Games and Commonwealth Games (Para-Athletes) have been fixed at par with medalists of Olympic Games, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games.
3. In a major breakthrough, the ICC has allowed Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir to return to domestic cricket early from his five-year ban for involvement in spot-fixing.
- Malaysian government has officially declared the disappearance of Malaysian Airline flight MH370 an accident and has said that there were no survivors. Officials said that the recovery operation is ongoing but that the 239 people on board are now presumed dead.
- HAL has completed integration of BrahMos thermonuclear cruise missile with Sukhoi-30MKI after over two years of work, modifying the Russian-made aircraft.
- Glen Joseph Galstaun was today nominated as the representative of the Anglo-Indian community in the Jharkhand Assembly.
Governor Syed Ahmed nominated Galstaun to the House as there is a need for a representative from the community.
- The World Bank’s Report Scaling the Heights: Social inclusion and sustainable development on Himachal Pradesh was released by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dhani Ram Shandil in Shimla today.
- Smt. Maitreyi Das, lead Social Development Specialist, who has prepared this report, said that Himachal stood apart from many other states with its strong track record of poverty reduction, service delivery and human and social development outcomes.
- On the Republic Day, Prof Devang Khakhar, Director of IIT Bombay, launched three Mass Open Online Courses (MOOC) in computer programming, thermodynamics, and signals and systems from the institute IITBombayX platform developed in collaboration with edX, a not-for-profit initiative by MIT and Harvard.
- Eminent singer and theatre director Shekhar Sen has been appointed the new chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi, the country’s premier institution for the performing arts. Mr. Sen was recently awarded the Padma Shri on Republic day for his contribution to the arts.